Post Tag: Renfest costume

12.11.2008

Yet another big update post

Wow, has it been over six months since I posted? I really have to get better about this. It’s not that I haven’t been working on sewing and other crafts — I totally have. At least I have that to say for myself.

Anyway, I recently upgraded my Flickr account to pro, so I’m going to try something new: storing my project images on Flickr and linking to them there. Obviously I won’t be storing all of my images on Flickr — just the main project ones. Hopefully I won’t have too many technical difficulties.

So what have I done since the last time I posted?

Well, I finished my bunny shirt — the shorter version of the dress (Simplicity 3867) from my last post.

Bunny shirt front
Bunny shirt side

The chest looks kind of collapsed on the dress form, but that’s because I didn’t provide the form with the proper…support before I put the dress on it. It looks better on the real thing (me).

Then in September, I was crazy enough to sew up a Renfest costume in one week. I used Simplicity 9966 and sewed just the shirt and the over- and underskirts. I’m glad I was smart enough to use a bodice I already owned — I just barely finished the three pieces on time.

Full costume (sort of)
Skirts
Neckline detail
Sleeve cuff detail
Skirt trim detail
Skirt clasp detail
Skirt serging/hem detail
Shirt seam detail

I’m proud of how it turned out, especially since the blouse was made out of such challenging material. I used voile, which was so wispy I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to sew it. Also, I had to adapt the sleeve pattern since the fabric wasn’t wide enough to accommodate it — the fabric was 36″ wide instead of the 45″ the pattern required. Since the fabric was so sheer, I used French seams throughout. I also finished the inside of both the skirts, just for that professional touch. I probably would have been finished in half the time if I hadn’t put so much effort into serging and whatnot. My only issue with the final costume was the skirt waist — I didn’t make the elastic tight enough. I guess that’s the problem with having a dress form with a bigger waist than my own.

At the end of July/beginning of August, I went to a 3-day fashion design course, which was awesome! I learned a lot about the design process, and I have some ideas for a future custom wardrobe.

Then there’s my new hobby — crochet. I posted some pictures of my beginning amigurumi. Since then, I’ve made quite a few projects. If you’re a member of Ravelry, you can see my project page here. Otherwise, here are some pictures of my most recent projects:

Amigurumi cornucopia
Short ‘n’ Sweet bolero
Camouflage wristwarmers
One-skein scarf

There are a few more projects I haven’t yet photographed. I’m really getting into this whole crochet thing. I added a bunch of crochet books to my Amazon wishlist. Knitting books, too! That’s just what I need — a new hobby.

I also crocheted up a couple of cactus amigurumi for John, but of course I forgot to take pictures of them before I sent them to work with John. Whoops!

I’m currently working on a complete site overhaul, including a redesign of this blog. This may take me some time, but stay tuned!