Post Tag: bib

7.07.2005

Hi there! I’m still alive and still sewing. I’ve been so busy with my regular website and school in the last year, but now that I’m unemployed, I have time to sew. It’s actually a blessing.

Right now, I’m working on finishing up the projects I either started or for which I bought supplies. First on the list was the bunny bib mentioned in the last entry. I finished it up today. Here are some pictures:

Bunny bib front
Bunny bib back
Bunny bib front bias tape detail
Bunny bib back bias tape detail

I could only get so close with the dinky camera. :) Here are some notes from the project:

The Good
*This time around I had no trouble with the applique feed. I used 0.3 for the stitch width and didn’t experience any of the issues I discussed before.

*Thanks to a little bit of coaching in a presser foot class (that I took sometime within the last year or so), I was able to go around curves more successfully with the applique. Also, my start and end points matched up better than before.

*The bias tape was a LOT, LOT better this time around. While I haven’t been sewing, I’ve been doing more reading, and I decided to try some of what I read for the bias tape application. I took a lot more time with shaping the curves with the iron, and I hand-stitched the back after machine sewing the front. It’s not perfect, but it’s such an improvement over the last attempt. And the hand-stitching may be more time consuming but a) I don’t have a bias tape application foot, and b) it gave me a lot more control than trying to catch both sides with the machine at once.

The Bad
*I appliqued the center piece first, and quickly learned that it’s best to do the outside pieces first. No biggie, but just a thought for next time.

*I haven’t yet mastered appliqueing corners — I have some excess stitching in the yellow. I’ll have to figure that one out.

*One of the alignment marks is slightly visible through the bunny. Note to self: material isn’t 100% opaque.

*I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but the instructions call for sewing the rick-rack on with invisible nylon thread. For the life of me, I could not get this to work last time — I tried different types of thread in the bobbin, even. So like last time, I just used a regular kind-of-matching thread to sew it on. Plus, even if I wanted to try the nylon again, the top broke off the thread spool. Odd, that.

In all, I would consider this one a success!

I’ve been working on my scarf as well, and I’m just over six inches to completion. I’ll post pictures when it’s finished.

4.02.2004

I just finished making a bib for my cousin’s baby:

I got the project idea out of Clotilde’s Sewing Savvy. I learned some new techniques, which I kind of suck at so far. I did my first satin stitch applique on a project. It turned out pretty well, except for the starting/ending points which are really obvious. I also attached bias tape around the edges, which did not go well. The fold wouldn’t stay on the edge of the fabric, and it just did not want to go around curves well. So I’m not extremely pleased with it, but it was my first time with bias tape.

I also need to find some kind of fabric marker that can be removed. I was using a quilting pencil, which would not come off with the eraser or with water. The chalk liner that was recommended to me had the same problem. I’m not sure if this is because I was using white fabric or what. I scrubbed the fabric too hard, but my scrub lines were covered up by the rickrack.

But overall, it was a quick, easy project that helped me learn some new stuff. Hopefully the second one I make (with a bunny applique) will be better.