Archive for October 2009

10.29.2009

Socks!

One of those things happened where I ended up with a million different things to write about and a million different pictures to process and post, and I got so overwhelmed I ended up working on nothing at all. That’s my excuse for taking so long between posts. What I’m doing now is working up a backlog of posts, so I can parcel them out as needed and not have to worry about typing up ten major posts in a row. We’ll see how this goes.

So the first topic in my massive list is…knitting socks! I’m a crocheter at heart, but I thought it would be a good idea to expand my horizons and learn knitting. As of the end of January, I had exactly two knitting projects completed. One, my Rikku scarf (which still isn’t completed by the way…*sigh*), I did circa 2005. The other, the garter stitch scarf, I did in January after completely relearning how to knit. Both of them involved doing the knit stitch over and over and over, except one was on circular needles and one was on straight needles. Neither of them was the most complicated knitting project in the universe. In fact, I’m not sure it would have been possible to knit a simpler project, except maybe one with no color changes whatsoever.

Then, around March or so, I was given a couple of knitting pattern books, including the aptly-named “I Can’t Believe I’m Knitting Socks” by Cindy Guggemos. Not only does this book include several sock patterns, but it gives very detailed instructions on the sock knitting process. There’s even a section on using circular needles, a section on alternate heels, and so on. The basic pattern uses fairly large yarn (DK weight) and needles (Size 4) for socks — none of the fingering weight yarn on tiny needles. So I picked up some cheap acrylic yarn and some bamboo double-pointed needles. It’s tough to find DK/sport weight acrylic except in the baby section, but amidst all the pastels, I found an interesting striping yarn I liked.

Going from garter stitch rectangles to double-pointed needles, K1P1 ribbing, increases/decreases, short rows, and picking up stitches was a big jump, but less than three weeks after I started, I had my first pair of socks! There are two visible mistakes on them — one of them is a big loop of yarn on the inside that I never quite figured out. I will count these mistakes under “things only Jeanne would notice.”

Here are some photos:

And a link to the Ravelry project page.

After that, I was ready to move on to the next project. I picked up some nicer yarn (Berroco Comfort Sox Metallics) and used one of the more complicated patterns in the book. The cuff had a chevron pattern that involved all sorts of increases, decreases, yarnovers, slipping stitches, and passing stitches over. I finished these socks with no visible mistakes (note that there were still mistakes…just not noticeable ones) and gave them to my mom for Mother’s Day.

Photos:

Ravelry link.

Since then, I’ve spent way too much money on sock yarn. Yes, I can admit that I’m a sock knitting addict. My most recent project, one that’s taken me much longer than the other two because I haven’t been putting the time in, is the Spring Forward pattern from Knitty magazine. I have one sock complete and the other in progress. Here are the photos so far:

Ravelry link.

I haven’t worked on these in a few months, because I felt guilty about all my neglected crochet projects, so I’ve been concentrating more on crochet again lately. I’m feeling good about getting some of my backlogged projects finished, so I’m sure I’ll pick up the socks again soon.

I really want to buy the Sock Innovations book by Cookie A., but I seem to always spend my monthly budget on other stuff like, say, yarn. In the meantime, there are enough free sock patterns online to keep me busy.