12.11.2005

Ginny's new bed

I finished the dog bed! As always, the pictures are taken with my little camera and very little image correction. Forgive my laziness.

View 1
View 2
View 3

I made it using Simplicity 7014. I used a light yellow minky fabric for the main part of the bed and black polar fleece for the ears and nose. The interior cushion is made from muslin.

I’m planning to write a more detailed pattern review for (duh) Pattern Review, but I’ll give a few details here.

First of all, the bed involves sewing opposite curves together — its own interesting challenge. I’ve never really done this properly before. I staystitched and clipped the inner curves and ease-stitched the outer curves, which worked really well. The inner cushion muslin was a lot easier to sew this way than the outer minky fabric, since the muslin stretches on the bias and the minky is a one-way knit. Yay for me finally learning how to do this successfully.

The other issue was the stuffed cushion. The pattern called for 120 oz. of fiberfill, some of which went into the nose and ears, but most of which went into the cushion. I only ended up using 4 out of 6 bags, and although this didn’t fill the bed “shell” out completely, if I had stuffed it any fuller, I would not have been able to fit it through the velcro opening. As it was, I still had to reinforce some of the bottom seams of the outer part because they ripped out the first time I removed the cushion.

The rest of it went pretty well. I mean, it’s really cute!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.